Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ropes Course

For all of you that know you you k now that I am TERRIFIED of heights! My PALS kids and I went on a team building ropes course this past weekend in Tyler, TX. We all had a great time and learned some good team building exercises, and some of us even conquered our fears...well kind of conquered the. The last thing we did was climb a telephone pole 20 feet in the air and then walk across another pole to propel off. Oh my gosh! I was seriously scared! It took me a while to let go of what I was hanging on to start to walk across. My legs were shaking uncontrollably and at one point I teared up in a nervous fear! All of my kids were a great help being very supportive. Honestly, their encouragement was the only thing that got me across that pole! Anyways, those of us who went (we were missing 6 of our kids) had an awesome time! We are going to try to go again in the spring as an entire group. That way we can get to the other high ropes activities...and I can over come my fears again! LOL! It really was an experience that I will never forget and I hope that the kids won't either. Take a look at some of the pictures we took. My kids really like to take my camera and go wild! They crack me up!

They go from the end to the of the day to the beginning day...sorry they are backwards.
This is one of the last pictures we took with the rock wall. Here are the kids doing their always cute goofy picture!


We didn't get to do the rock wall, but maybe next time!

Look how tall that thing is!

These two are me coming down from walking across the pole.
The kids wanted me to do a Spiderman imitation!




Me walking across. As you can tell I am holding on to the rope for stability. The facilitator told me to walk with my arms out to the side - yeah, I was having none of that!


Talking myself into letting go of the pole and start walking!


Another Spiderman imitation!

Obviously she is not scared!

Justin, who is also scared of heights, did a great job!


On the way up!

Look at that bravery!


This is an exercise where they all had to fit on this little plank. The first two they had to fit on were much bigger and they did great. Needless to say this size took them a great deal of time! They succeeded though!

Here is one of their strategies of all fitting. Needless to say, this attempt didn't turn out too well.


This one got them really frustrated! They were all tied together and had to follow a trail!


This is at the beginning before tempers started to flare!


Here they were blind folded and had to make a square out of a rope.


Before they made a square they had to walk around blind folded and find the rope! These two girls walk right over it a couple of times and finally realized what it was. It was hilarious!

Here they was making a pizza - they had to throw it up clap twice, turn around, and catch it.


They are doing the same thing! It really was neat watching their strategies.

The group when we first arrived. Don't they all look so excited? Also, take notice at Justin - he is the one with the white "girls" beanie and the turquoise sunglasses ith rhinestones. What a goofball!

3 comments:

The Cleavelin Chronicles said...

So much fun! I've taken my girls to a similar place , called TbarM, in San Marcus. It's a blast. Closing my eyes tight and screaming as loud as possible seems to help me with my fears! lol. I'm not sure which is worse, the climbing or the jumping off part.

Sara Te said...

Whoa! You're a lot braver than me. But, it looks like y'all had a good time (or at least did some bonding).

Kristin and David said...

It looks like you guys had lots of fun! I wish that I could do something like that with my kids.