Thursday, June 24, 2010

Our short, but SCARY hospital stay

Well, as most of you know we went to Disney World for our vacation. The week before we left Berklie had a little spot on her hinnie that I went to get checked out. Come to find out it was a staph infection, and the doctor put her on medicine asap....that was on Monday. As of Wednesday it looked AWFUL, so I took her back to the doctor. The doctor was shocked at how bad it had gotten, so he told me he would be right back. He returned to the room and proceeded to say, "I am sending you over to the hospital to have a surgery. Don't worry, the surgeon is great! She'll meet you over at the hospital and she'll get Berklie better in no time." Well, as you can imagine all sorts of things started running around in my head...holy crap...I can't believe how bad it is...oh no, Flint's in Lubbock...poor thing...how is she even walking?!?!?!? So, after my little freak out and panic....I went over to the hospital, and the surgeon met Berklie and I in the lobby to get us registered. Once that was over she took us into a room and looked Berklie over. She said it did look really bad, but she knew she could take care of it and get all the infection out. So.....Berklie and I waited until she was able to get into surgery. She couldn't go in until she had not eaten for six hours. Man...I thought it was going to be a LONG few hours because she was in pain, she was getting hungry, and had no toys. Much to my surprise, she did really well! I got her a ($5) balloon at the gift shop and it occupied her for a good while! Flint rushed in from Lubbock to be with us as soon as he could and mom and dad came in, too. They wheeled Berklie back and I got to ride in the bed with her. It was neat because when we turned the corner I saw the same anistesologist that gave me my spinal was going to be her doctor as well. It was awful when they took her away!!!! It seriously was the worse thing that I have ever had to do! But, she was back in no time and good as new! She was a little cranky, but I expected that. They had her on a strong dose of meds ever 6 hours through iv. They had to come in the first night and redo her iv two times! They ended up having to stick her 6 times! I had to hold her down and it was awful! We got through it and we got out of the hospital on Saturday. We saw the doctor again on Monday, and she sent us over tot he surgeon. The doctor said that it didn't feel right to her. Of course....I was scared once again, but we got to the surgeon and she said it looked great and cleared her to go to Disney World! Thank you all so much for all the prayers for Berklie! Hopefully, we will not have to go through it again anytime soon. Look at her cute little pics from the hospital. WARNING - a couple of them are gross, but the rest are cute!

No comments: